Friday, September 30, 2011

What a difference a year makes....

Ok, I admit I have been absent from blog land for quite some time. I will say however, that I have started many, many blog entries and just couldn't bring myself to hit the "post" button. When you're a perfectionist (ahem, like myself) it is difficult to allow anything less than pure eloquence to go out to the "masses". Days when I am feeling downright frustrated and exhausted (oh, and inpatient) with this adoption process I have a very difficult time describing these emotions on paper without sounding plain depressing. And no one wants to read depressing right? Right?...

Wrong. Who gets the glory for a journey that is all roses and lollipops? If the process was easy and painless, what would the validity of my testimony be? I have been given another one a those God-sized reality checks:) I am learning to uncover it all, to bear witness to the good and the not-so-good, to share my highs right along with my lows. It may not be pretty some days, it may be the ugly cry happenin at my house, but Christ is my rock right smack in the middle of these moments and He should be glorified more than ever during these days.

So from here out, you're gettin reality people :) Like it or not :) But reality today is wonderful! This post today is gonna be exciting! One year ago this Saturday Doug and I went down to a 2 day training with YWAM's adoption agency's Ethiopia program. Doug and I were there as observers, not really as trainees. One year ago I had asked Doug if we could attend this training in a last ditch effort to get my husband on board with international adoption. It wasn't quite like pulling teeth, but to say that he was excited to go would definitely be an overstatement. Day one of the training, no change in this man's heart... As the end of day two approached, I resolved that it just wan't going to happen. I needed to let go of this dream for the sake of my husband and our marriage. The last session wrapped up and we "ended up" speaking with YWAM's social worker. This woman will always hold a special place in my heart. She looked at my husband and spoke the love and truth of Christ's heart for adoption in a way that changed him forever. We got in the car, started to drive home and he looked at me and said "I'm in". The rest of the evening is a blur of blubbering and sheer joy.

And now, almost one year later, we are counting down the days (24 to be exact) until we board a plane to go meet our now 10month old daughter. That's right people! T-W-E-N-T-Y F-O-U-R D-A-Y-S!!! We won't get to bring her home this trip, but we are hopeful that on Nov 1st when we stand before a judge she will officially become a Hicks! We covet your prayers as we prepare for this 1st trip. God has been so faithful, we know He is right in the middle of all our planning, prepping and dreaming. To Him be the Glory!

What a difference a year makes!

Oh and coming soon...pictures of the most adorable nursery you've ever seen :)

5 comments:

  1. I always prefer to read 'the real deal' from people even if its not roses all the time. :) and i love your perspective that if we're not honest about the hard times, we can't testify to God's goodness and faithfulness in bringing us through them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post, I love hearing how people came to a place where they chose international adoption. Love that Leanne and her "truth" is a part of her story.

    Let's pray, for the sake of the children, that many more hopeful spouses hear an enthusiastic "I'm in!" from their partner.

    Oh, and did I forget to mention that I am SOOO EXCITED FOR YOU TWO!!! Hope to see you this month at the YWAM group!

    :)Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post. Can't wait to meet you!!! I can't tell you how many times I go to write a post and hit delete instead of post. i am always worried, did I say what I meant? Is it truth? Will people think that I am crazy? I am being fair to my kids...telling too much? Love your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be standing in the court with you on November 1-- can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember meeting you at the training and thinking how neat you both were! Who knew God was up to something So Big?

    Can't wait to see the nursery pictures!

    ReplyDelete